Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thing #9 - Useful Blogs and News feeds

Which blog tool was the easiest to use? For me it was the Google one. It is set up to add to my Google home page and offers an option to automatically look up blogs related to the topic I selected. I went to the other blog searches that were posted and there is a myriad of information out there. Most are associated with current events and some had no topics related to my field whatsoever (broadcast).
For my case, I found that it is best for me to keep the searches narrow. With too many to use, a lot of time can be wasted just looking. Although research is a valuable and necessary tool, I find that it is most important to stay focused and have an option that directly takes you to the information you seek and doesn't beat around the bush with topics and discussions that are irrelevant to the task at hand. It is important to stay clearly focused on the question at hand and not be swayed by "related" topics which seem to be the majority of these blogs.
I like the way the Cool Cat Teacher noted the 2 main types of blogs, the egocentrical one (which there certainly are many) and the conversationalists. He/she makes good reference for what to look for in a blog when conducting searches.
I added a few feeds to my google home page which will keep me from going out amongst the millions in searching and will send me the topic specific blogs which I requested.
Can you tell I don't like to waste my time?
http://www.google.com/reader/view/#overview-page

No comments:

Post a Comment