Friday, June 26, 2009

Thing #13-Tagging and discovering Delicious

I found this to be a very cool site. I was able to export all my favorites from my computer into my delicious account. I then went to my second computer, which has different favorites and tried to import them. Well, it wouldn't let me do it - what now? Delicious told me to come back in a couple of hours and try again. This time it worked. I now have a space where I can go from any computer, anywhere, and get to my favorites.

The time saved from having to search for these sites will be immense. My job is also the College Board liason for my campus. There website is immense and very difficult to navigate. I now have all my College Board URL's tagged for easy retrieval. I went ahead and was able to tag all of my sites and it built a system for me, much like organizing folders under My Favorites.

The best part about this is that when my computer breaks down and needs to be re-imaged, I don't have to worry about losing all of these valuable links. Also, if I am working on a different work station and come across information I want to retrieve from my personal computer, it is not a problem as all I need to do is go to Delicious.

I haven't explored tags posted by others that are related to mine yet, but I'm sure I will run across a wealth of information which might save me time from looking through the more traditional search engines.

My Delicious Bookmarks

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like that this was a valuable tool for you - I can't wait to get to this thing! I am a few behind you and I know that I have shared the frustration when going from computer to computer and having to search for all your favorites again to bookmark them. It would be nice to not have to add them all again when your computer has to be reimaged (I've had to do this twice already).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering the same thing about uploading bookmarks from different computers--home laptop, school PC, ancient home PC. So now I know that it might just take patience. Thanks for sharing this information. I haven't actually gotten to this Thing yet but I'm getting close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy using my delicious account, I've been using one for a few years now. I think this year I am going to have one specifically for my APES kids for helpful websites. Plus it makes it easy to go back and forth from school and home!

    ReplyDelete