Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thing #20 - You Tube, Teacher Tube and Zamzar

You Tube is filled with everything one can imagine. For this exercise, I choose a broadcasting blooper to emulate why certain rules and precautions need to be taken when conducting a live broadcast. (Fortunately, I don't plan on live broadcasts my first year and will look into the need for it as the school year progresses. I know SWHS goes live from time to time and I will investigate the need for this further. The SWHS Video Tech teacher will be my mentor for teaching this new course this year.)


Here is the You Tube video. I requested a file conversion from Zamzar and dowloaded the .avi file.



A major concern to note about You Tube, I did have trouble finding videos of this nature that did not contain foul language.


I found Teacher Tube to be much more useful than You Tube. The selection of videos was much more focused on the classroom with content appropriate for students. I selected the following video because it follows a format I would like to pursue with my classes. Although this is a group of junior high students, I believe the high school students can take it a step ahead.





An important factor with using Teacher Tube was that I was able to download the video and able to upload it on this blog without having to use Zamzar. One step less is more time saved. One noteworthy mention, uploading these videos onto my blog was very time consuming, especially during the processing time.


Finally, I found another reason why I will avoid live broadcasts which can be seen in the video that follows. Please note that my students are all 17-18 years old, I don't think I would share this with the younger ones.


This segment was emailed to me by a colleague. I obviously had too much fun with Thing #20.



2 comments:

  1. perserverance paid off...you have great examples to share with your TV students...and I surely hope you and your stuents don't have ANY bloopers like some of these to show!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including the bloopers footage...I am stressing about trying to finish before August 10th, and needed that laugh.

    I like the news program with the students. We do a daily live news show at our school- ours could be better with a bit more bells and whistles!

    ReplyDelete