Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing #23 - Summarizing My Thoughts

Wow, what loads of fun this course has been for me. So many things to use which will certainly entertain us in the learning process next year. Here are some reflections:
1. What were some of my favorite discoveries or exercises? I have to say the Wiki hit me as the most useful as a tool to use in the class. By far it has the greatest potential for classroom collaboration. Writing this blog and maintaining it can serve as a great lesson plan format where students can come to retrieve assignments and post questions and concerns. Teacher Tube beats out You Tube for finding content to use in the classroom by far. Delicious is just that, delicious. I'll never have to worry about losing the URL because I'm not on my teacher computer again - a must for all. Google Docs and the free version of Office are great tools for students to have access to who cannot get them otherwise.
There were just too many things that I found both meaningful and useful. You did a great job of sorting through the plethora of 2.0 options out there for us to focus on.
2. How has this program assisted or affected my lifelong learning goals? This course has given me many useful tools to take back to work. As my campus technology trainer, I can now offer many courses which will benefit the teachers and staff as well - I hope you don't mind my doing that. Many of us still enjoy a classroom setting to learn things and the materials from this class are just too good not to share. I also now have modern tools to use in my classroom which will bring me up to the 21st century. I haven't taught students in 5 years, so these tools will give me an edge when creating interesting and relevant assignments.
3. Were there any take-aways or any unexpected outcomes from this that surprised me? The biggest surprise for me was that I completed an online course. I was hesitant to get started and even went by the library media services office to get a feel of being in a class. Once I got a grip on how the class operated, I was comfortable doing all this from home. Thank you Vaughn for your support and insight throughout this progam with your emails and posts to my blogs. As far as take-aways, this answers my concern from #2 above, I have classes to share with the teachers throughout the year now at MHS.
4. What could you do differently to improve upon this programs format? I think you have it there. I had trouble getting started, but once I grasped the big picture, the course flowed and was easy to navigate. Your introductions to each section were brief enough to gain a concept of what needed to be explored in each Thing and you gave good direction on what we were to discover.
5. If you offered another discovery program, would I participate? Without a doubt. I might wait until summer time to do it though as it is lengthy and my mind is much more alert during the day to open up to new ideas and tools.
6. How would I describe my learning experience in ONE WORD or ONE SENTENCE? Now that is just not right. I obviously ramble on to convey my thoughts, but here goes..."I have been totally enlightened by this experience."
7.) Go post - that I will do.

4 comments:

  1. Please use any of this info to share with students and teachers alike. I have no doubt you and oyu class will find great uises and even more resources...please share them here so we can all see what's happening!

    congratulations on a successful online learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your completion!!! I hope to be there in another week.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cathy and Vaughn, it was a fun ride and we'll have lots to revisit the next school year....1 Thing at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOHOOO! I knew you would fly through it. Can't wait to sit and visit about it :)

    ReplyDelete